Plaque unveiled April 5th 1995
‘Rose Cottage’, 75 Godstone Road
Until it was demolished for redevelopment as flats, consent won on appeal in 1992, ‘Rose Cottage’ was one of the oldest surviving original buildings in Whyteleafe. It was built in 1842 as a farmhouse and was surrounded by open countryside. Gradually the land around was taken – for the railway embankment in 1870, the railway itself in 1884, the board school in 1892, new housing in 1893 and 1900. Former occupants were John and Sarah Atkins from 1874-1882, J Scott in 1885, Benjamin Burfield in 1890, C H Garrett in 1900 and F Bushby in 1924.
From: Bourne Society Village Histories 6: Whyteleafe